Sunday, December 19, 2010

Introducing oil painter Linda Blondheim

Share |
Oil painter Linda Blondheim was the featured artist for March 2009 on Cow Art and More. Linda is well known throughout the southeast United States for her landscape paintings, including those of rural Florida farmland and cattle. Linda recently opened her own small gallery space and enjoys meeting with customers and art enthusiasts.

Why do you paint?

It's in my soul. I started painting at eight years old and never stopped.

How did you get started?

I started an art club for the neighborhood kids when I was nine. We painted together one day a week. I also had a horse club which crossed over into horse art. We were all horse crazy at that age.

What is your technique?

I paint with oils, acrylics and gouache. I am representational expressionist, in that I don't copy nature but rather invent it in my on style.

Where did you learn your technique?

I have a BFA (bachelor of fine arts) in Fine Art and advanced study. I studied with Joe Testa Secca in undergraduate school and with Bruce Marsh, in graduate school, both fine painters. After I finished school I self studied for many years and I still do.

How did you decide what to paint?

I became very interested in the Southern Landscape about 20 years ago. I started painting on location then and continue to work both on location with a small paint box and in the studio for larger format work. My fascination with the landscape goes on endlessly. I also enjoy Bovines and Canines as subjects.

How long does it take you to paint a painting?

Small paintings are done alla prima, from start to finish in one session, usually from 45 minutes to 1 1/2 hours. Large format paintings can take from 1-3 weeks.

Do you ever have goof ups or work you don't like?

All the time. Those are the most instructive. I consider painting to be an ongoing study, never a finished skill set.

What else would you like people to know about your work that they may not know already?

My work is thematic in approach. I will explore themes and subjects for long periods, because intense study of a subject reveals its soul. I also base many of my paintings on particular studies of technique. This is the way we grow as a painter.

I love the land, animals, people, cooking and culture of my beloved South. I am particularly indebted to the farmers, ranchers and land conservationists who allow me to paint on their private lands.

What advice to you have for aspiring painters?

There is no substitute for easel time. Work hard, study hard. Do many practice paintings, Study areas of painting like values, color mixing,composition in small studies. That will improve your painting.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails