Saturday, March 12, 2011

Painter Paula Jones - Where did you learn your technique?

Share |
Where did you learn your technique?

My friend urged me to study with people whose art I respected - hmmm.... I knew so little about art, that I didn’t even know who I respected. So, I started devouring books. Turns out I loved Russian Impressionism. And that was where I started.

One artist in particular - Sergei Bongart - caught my eye. I loved his boldness, his color, his brushwork. And so I sought out his students - Louise Demore, Don Sahli and Guido Frick. I would drive from the middle of Kansas to Evergreen, Colorado to study with Don Sahli once a week in the middle of the winter. My thirst for knowledge about art and the process was unquenchable. I found Guido Frick, probably the most influential teachers I had. He had a freedom about his work that I couldn’t get enough of. Over the next two years I studied with him for a total of about 3 months, both in workshops and in private lessons.

Picture credit: "Kansas Rushmore", oil on canvas

Click here to learn more about this Hereford cattle painting

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails