Thursday, July 16, 2009

A conversation with Laurie Winkelman: Part 6

Share |
How do you decide what to draw?

My most recent drawings (including Curiosity), were intended to be gifts for my family. A few years ago, I did a drawing of my older sister and me holding two cows that were Intermediate Champion and Reserve Intermediate Champion at the 2004 Wisconsin State Fair and Show, which became a Christmas present for my parents. In 2008, I decided to have prints made of “Curiosity” as gifts for my parents and my sister. “Curiosity” is the first drawing I have ever really made available for sale, and it’s been a fun experience to share my love for drawing and cows. My favorite part of drawing an animal is capturing the eyes of the animal. Animals have so much personality in their eyes. In my opinion, if the eyes are wrong, the whole drawing is wrong.

I have stayed with pencil drawings in the recent years because I have moved around quite a bit in my years since high school. After 4 years at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, I moved to Ohio in 2003 with no art supplies whatsoever. It was easy (and very affordable) for me to quench my thirst for art with a good set of pencils and some paper – which helps to explain my recent fondness for drawing (as opposed to other media).

Picture credit: Laurie Winkelman (right) showing one her Brown Swiss cows at the World Dairy Expo in Madison, Wisconsin

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails