Thursday, July 30, 2009

A conversation with Laurie Winkelman: Part 11

Share |

What else do you do besides your art?

I think the better question would be ‘when do you find time for your art’?

As I mentioned earlier, I am a full-time Ph.D. student at Cornell University, which involves working with cows, doing a lot of work in the laboratory, reading (a lot), and also writing (a lot). I help coach the Cornell Dairy Cattle Judging Team and also volunteer at various dairy youth and 4-H activities in New York State, such as 4-H Dairy Quiz Bowl and NY Jr. Holstein activities. I also serve as an instructor at Badger Dairy Camp, going back to Wisconsin in June for the last 7 years to work with kids in dairy projects. I really enjoy opportunities to work with dairy youth, and it is fun to share my knowledge with them and encourage them to pursue careers in the dairy industry.

Additionally, I write articles for “Hoard’s Dairyman” (a national dairy magazine), classify (evaluate) cows part-time for the Brown Swiss Association, and am a part-time employee for a catering business in Ithaca, NY. Also, I am still somewhat ‘active’ in the family farm in Watertown, WI, Twinkle-Hill Farm (www.twinklehillfarm.com – a site which I designed and maintain). I own quite a few Brown Swiss cows at the home farm and work on the breeding and genetics-side of the business from afar.

Our family shows our cattle at state and national shows, including World Dairy Expo. I love clipping and fitting the cattle to get them ready for the show – in a way, fitting has a slightly artistic side to it too!

In between all of the school, work, and volunteer activities, I really enjoy running, working out, skiing in the winter, and reading books and magazines. I have run 2 marathons and was training for a 3rd marathon this past May – but I got injured about 3 weeks before the race. I am ecstatic to report that I started running again, pain-free, at the end of June!

Picture credits:

Top: Laurie (far left) with her Cornell dairy judging team she helped to coach

Bottom: Laurie (wearing a black jacket standing just behind the dairy heifer) showing other attendees of the Badger (University of Wisconsin) dairy camp how to prepare and groom a heifer for show

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails