Saturday, March 13, 2010

A conversation with Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson: Part 5

Share |
Where do you get your inspiration?

I often get my inspiration from my papers. I find a paper that I think looks fuzzy, and I might use it for a sheep. I find a paper that is lumpy and bumpy and turquoise, and I might use it for the crown of a peacock's head. I find a paper that looks like lace, and I might use it for the fringe on a ballet skirt. I hand-paint a paper that is vibrant, textured, golden yellow, and I might use it on a small finch sitting on a branch.

Other times I am inspired by my frame maker. Owen Tomlin makes frames from reclaimed barn wood in Kentucky. I like to paint images that will work with is amazing hand crafted frames, so I might do an entire series on barnyard animals or botannicals because I know they will look great hanging together as a group, all framed in Owen's frames.

Picture credit: Detail of the tail feathers of "Le Coq du Village"

Click here to learn more about this rooster art collage

1 comment:

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

this image is a detail of a rooster's tail utilizing printed materials and wallpaper along with hand painted papers. The texture on my collages is so rich that I varnish them and frame them without glass.

Related Posts with Thumbnails