Saturday, March 27, 2010

A conversation with Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson: Part 11

Share |
What advice do you have for aspiring artists?

I have a lot of advice for aspiring artists. I tell them to remember that art is a business, and so you cannot neglect the fact that you have to spend a serious amount of time marketing your own work. You have to get OUT of the studio and get in front of your computer and get out in front of people, network. I also stress how important it is to be reliable. You have to deliver the work when you said you would, you have to meet deadlines and bring work that is ready to hang, professional. You have to be reliable and be someone that galleries know they can count on to deliver. You have to be organized, keep a computer program of your inventory, your contacts, your mailing list, your galleries, and your work. Be prepared to sell yourself and your work, be organized and be original.

Picture credit: "How Now, Brown Cow"

Click here to see this piece of cow art as a mixed media collage or on a flash bag tote bag

1 comment:

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

How Now Brown Cow has a pink nose that is made out of hand made paper by an artist from Altamonte Springs, FL. I love hand made paper and often times I am asked if I make it myself. NO WAY! I have too much time needed for my collages, I buy it from a very capable artist named Judith Segall. We offer workshops in conjunction with each other, she teacher paper making one Saturday, and I teach collage utilizing that paper on the following Saturday! We make a good team, we've even shown our work together!

Related Posts with Thumbnails